Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Bible Study With My Daughter

Let me start off this by saying, I absolutely LOVE the book of Acts. It is so full of truths, principles to live by, promises from God, courage and strength. I have been going to BSF (Bible Study Fellowship) since September (I think) and getting to know Acts all over again after our church preached the book last year. I am getting so much out of the study, especially with the highlights, questions and lectures, and growing so much closer to the Lord. Seeing how He has been changing my heart, where He is focusing my attention and correcting my behavior is just, well, I would say amazing but really it's just, God.   

Yes, yes the title of this is Bible Study With My Daughter :) I am getting there. 

One of the things God has placed so deeply on my heart, as you may have seen from previous posts, are children. I absolutely LOVE kids. I truly believe they are our future and that if you "train up a child in the way he should go, Even when he is old he will not depart from it" (Proverbs 22:6) but what I was noticing was that I was spending a great deal of time training up OTHER kids. Between bible study once a month and Sunday School twice a month, I felt I was always "preparing" for a lesson but I was not teaching at home. Quite a bit of MY bible study time felt rushed, was done in the evenings after Grace went to bed and she never saw me doing it. What she was seeing is that I was rushing to get it done or talking about rushing around to finish it before BSF started. That doesn't sound like I was really teaching her the right way, does it? "Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ." (1 Corinthians 11:1) 

My daughter, Grace, is homeschooled. By many blessings of the Lord, we are able to do this. He has provided an amazing program through the school that allows us to be able to afford the cost more easily with the availability to have her in extracurricular activities. The Lord laid on my heart to teach Grace from home long before I had the ability and my wonderful husband has always been so supportive of this idea. Without whom (also a blessing, he is) I would not be able to keep the sanity and perseverance to continue on some days. As I would prepare her school lesson for the day, bible study always got swept under the rug. There was too much to do, too many assignments and reports, too many projects and we just didn't have time to add one more. Then a few weeks ago, I cam across this verse (??randomly??) "Teach them to your children, talking about them when you are sitting at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up." (Deuteronomy 11:19) OUCH! Too important to miss and yet I was showing her that these ideals were SO IMPORTANT that I was SHOVING THEM AWAY! I mean, we were reinforcing Sunday school...right? Well, sometimes. What about bible study...? Ohhh, nope. Just kind of got swept under the rug...

Let's just say, I think I got the full wake up call when I got a "Daily Devotional for Homeschoolers" the next day. Matthew 18:6-7 " “If anyone causes one of these little ones—those who believe in me—to stumble, it would be better for them to have a large millstone hung around their neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea. Woe to the world because of the things that cause people to stumble! Such things must come, but woe to the person through whom they come!" Was I causing my little one to stumble? YES! By showing her that God came SECOND and not FIRST. 

 WHAT A BLESSING this bible study is, done through a child's eyes! We started a "Wall of Faith" as we go through the study of Acts (yes, just like BSF, they have a "family guide" for discussion at home and we use that as our guide...sort of, with lots of twists and turns along the way) where we have different cut out shapes like hands for prayers or verses on prayer, a bible or book for verses on studying, a lamb for verses about Jesus, a lion for verses about being strong or courageous, a dove for promises (and OH MY there are a LOT of those) and probably one of my favorites, little crosses for things special we want to remember, principles-truths-ways to live. I think I am getting at least as much out of this study as I am at the women's study. There is something special to see when you are looking at scripture through unconditionally loving eyes. Its not important to see the Lord through a child's eyes, right? "
And he said: 'Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever takes the lowly position of this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.'" (Matthew 18:3-4) 

Take the time for bible study. It is the single most important part of the day for you and your children. Not only will they be brought up in the ways of the Lord but you would be surprised at what you will learn from your children about love, correction and looking on the "glass half full" side of things. We look at Stephen in Acts 7 and say "Poor guy, he was stoned." My daughter looked at Stephen and said "He got to see GOD AND JESUS." I think I want a heart like hers...

Lord, Thank you for the blessings that you have given me in the areas of my life that I sometimes see as a burden. Help me see things for what they are and prioritize according to YOUR desire. Help give me the strength to continue when it seems my schedule is too full for YOU and to put You first not just for my, Lord, but for my daughter as well. Everything I desire to give to You, including my time and my priority. Academics come only after the real teaching is done! 









No comments:

Post a Comment