Sunday, September 4, 2011

PSALM 40

If you get a chance to read all of Psalm 40 I would recommend doing so but, for the purpose of this blog, I want to talk about what verses 11-17 are focusing on:

11 Do not withhold your mercy from me, LORD; may your love and faithfulness always protect me.
12 For troubles without number surround me; my sins have overtaken me, and I cannot see. They are more than the hairs of my head, and my heart fails within me.
13 Be pleased to save me, LORD; come quickly, LORD, to help me. 
14 May all who want to take my life be put to shame and confusion; may all who desire my ruin be turned back in disgrace.
15 May those who say to me, “Aha! Aha!” be appalled at their own shame.16 But may all who seek you rejoice and be glad in you; may those who long for your saving help always say, “The LORD is great!” 
17 But as for me, I am poor and needy; may the Lord think of me. You are my help and my deliverer; you are my God, do not delay.

What a humbling way to look! May YOUR love and truth protect me. Our sins are so great in number that it is being compared to the number of hairs on our heads. How overwhelming! To know that sin will be apart of my life until He returns, exhausting! To know that He has made it possible to not have to be a slave to this sin, REDEEMING! 

Those who say 'Aha'......may I not be one of those anymore! Your sin doesn't make mine any less and where we should be comforting, loving and helping each other we say "OOOOOHHHHHH! Look at so-and-so! Can you believe that?" Why do we point out shame? Why do we not comfort the disgraced? The sin is to be exposed but we are supposed to be loving and take care of someone BRAVE and STRONG enough to be honest about their "disgraces" and rejoice and be glad in He who can fix anything!

We all have areas in our lives that Christ's love needs to fix. We are ALL poor and needy. When Christ said to the Pharisees "It is not the healthy who need a doctor but the sick" (Matt 9:12) think about this question: Are you acting like you know you're sick....? Or do you really know you NEED Jesus? "You are my help and my deliverer; Oh my God do not delay" 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment